Skip to: categories | main content

Tomato Plants + Fat Cat = One Tearful Gardener

Trackbacks

No Trackbacks

Comments
Display comments as (Linear | Threaded)

Anthony said,

Thursday, April 19. 2007 at 10:39 (Link) (Reply)

Please accept my most sincere condolences on the loss of your tomatoes. :-(

Perhaps you need to set up a "mouse" trap near your seedlings. Nothing that would harm the cat but maybe some bells or something that would alert you to the next tomato attack.
Colleen said,

Thursday, April 19. 2007 at 10:58 (Link) (Reply)

Thanks Anthony. I think a "mouse" trap would be a good idea! Bells would probably work...I think I have some jingle bell type bells around from Christmas...

Last year, the other cat, "Bug" did it to my morning glory seedlings---although, he didn't eat them. He just chewed them down as low as he could and left the stems laying there. Maybe I'll have to put some of that netting up around my seed starting area that people use to keep deer and other animals out of their gardens.
Tracy said,

Thursday, April 19. 2007 at 11:28 (Link) (Reply)

My sympathies go out to you! I no longer have a cat, but discovered - the hard way - that rabbits will gladly eat newly planted tomatoes (even if "they" say rabbits don't eat tomatoes). Two years ago I got home from work one day to find all 12 tomato plants eaten down to the nub. You could always try spraying your plants with Bitter Apple. My old cat, Milo, loved to chew on electrical cords, so I was constantly using it.
Colleen said,

Thursday, April 19. 2007 at 11:37 (Link) (Reply)

Oh Tracy....that would have definitely made me cry!

I had forgotten all about Bitter Apple---if they keep it up, I'll buy some. Thanks!
OldRoses said,

Thursday, April 19. 2007 at 19:05 (Link) (Reply)

Cats always seem to know which things you most don't want them to get into. How about some catgrass for Mouse & Co to chew on?
wren said,

Thursday, April 19. 2007 at 20:37 (Link) (Reply)

How could you suspect such a sweet, innocent little kitty?

My kitty Kinsey liked to rub her face on one of my cactus plants . The plant hung on for years, but she finally pushed up against it once too often. She can look supremely innocent, too - the poster child for "I have an alibi"
Chris said,

Thursday, April 19. 2007 at 22:10 (Link) (Reply)

I had the exact same problem with George The Orange Menace...er... George the Cat. He went straight for the Romanesco that I was so looking forward to growing while sitting on the Leek and Scallion seedlings. How can they possibly know this stuff!? It was such a mess! I ended up putting chicken wire around the grow shelves so he couldn't get at the plants and it seems to have worked so far.
Colleen said,

Friday, April 20. 2007 at 07:40 (Link) (Reply)

OldRoses---I may try the cat grass again. I know Bug liked it...maybe it will distract Mouse as well!

Wren---They ALWAYS manage to look innocent! And, I know what you mean....if mine aren't eating the plants, then they're killing them with love.

Chris---I just checked out your blog....your poor seedlings! I like your chicken wire idea a lot!
Kim said,

Friday, April 20. 2007 at 20:46 (Link) (Reply)

Oh man... that sucks. Sorry to hear that, Colleen. :-(
Anonymous said,

Monday, April 23. 2007 at 09:56 (Reply)

Tomato leaves are supposed to be poisonous to cats!
Colleen said,

Monday, April 23. 2007 at 11:21 (Link) (Reply)

They are. I think if the leaves had been bigger, we would have been in trouble. Luckily, the leaves were small. Mouse hasn't had any symptoms of being sick (vomiting, not eating, breathing difficulties) so luckily she's fine.

More incentive to find a way to keep her away from them.

Enclosing asterisks marks text as bold (*word*), underscore are made via _word_.
Standard emoticons like :-) and ;-) are converted to images.
E-Mail addresses will not be displayed and will only be used for E-Mail notifications

To prevent automated Bots from commentspamming, please enter the string you see in the image below in the appropriate input box. Your comment will only be submitted if the strings match. Please ensure that your browser supports and accepts cookies, or your comment cannot be verified correctly.
CAPTCHA

Submitted comments will be subject to moderation before being displayed.

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/include/plugin_api.inc.php on line 562

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spartacus/serendipity_event_spartacus.php on line 316

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spartacus/serendipity_event_spartacus.php on line 360

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 451

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 476

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 520

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 819