Skip to: categories | main content

The Vegetable Garden

Trackbacks

No Trackbacks

Comments
Display comments as (Linear | Threaded)

Carol said,

Thursday, June 28. 2007 at 12:13 (Link) (Reply)

Colleen... you garden looks great, pumpkin flower is very pretty and summer-y and the corn is tall and green. I'm thinning out my corn tonight and will be checking for tassels.

It is amazing what a difference good soil makes, especially in the vegetable garden! As I improve my soil each year, I find that the plants are healthier and bigger overall, with no supplemental fertilizing.

Carol at May Dreams Gardens
(and thank you for the link!)
Colleen said,

Thursday, June 28. 2007 at 12:25 (Link) (Reply)

Hi Carol :-)

No problem! I was totally stumped about what to write today until I ran across your post, so thank YOU!

Thanks :-)
Robin (Bumblebee) said,

Thursday, June 28. 2007 at 18:09 (Link) (Reply)

Beautiful garden! I just read about the Cherokee Purple tomatoes in Hobby Farms magazine. I love the heirlooms but haven't tried this one. How does it compare with, say, a Brandywine? I grow LOTS of Brandywine tomatoes.

Robin
Colleen said,

Saturday, June 30. 2007 at 10:24 (Link) (Reply)

Robin,
It's my first year growing them...I usually grow 'Brandywines.' But I keep reading that 'Cherokee Purple' tastes even better. We'll see :-)

Thanks for stopping by!
OldRoses said,

Saturday, June 30. 2007 at 01:57 (Link) (Reply)

Pumpkins are so much fun to grow when you have young children. Once Halloween gets here and you can go pumpkin picking in your own backyard, it makes it so much more special. Then remember to roast some seeds and save some seeds when you carve your jack-o-lanterns!
Colleen said,

Saturday, June 30. 2007 at 10:24 (Link) (Reply)

Hi OldRoses :-)

Mmmm...roasted pumpkin seeds. I can taste them already!
Carolyngail said,

Saturday, June 30. 2007 at 07:44 (Link) (Reply)

Hi "Pumpkin Flower !" That's a pet name we use down South. Anyhoo, just wanted to remind you to participate in GARDEN BLOGGERS' MUSE DAY tomorrow by posting a garden-related poem or poetry of your choosing and then informing me of it. Thanks. Keep those veggies coming !
Colleen said,

Saturday, June 30. 2007 at 10:25 (Link) (Reply)

Will do, Carolyn :-) I've already got my poem picked out and ready to go!
Kim said,

Saturday, June 30. 2007 at 22:57 (Link) (Reply)

Robin and Colleen, they taste WONDERFUL! I don't have any in my garden this year, so I'm drooling over both of yours. :-)

Colleen, I agree with you 100% about the prettiness of corn. One year at the old house I grew broom corn and I thought it was cute:

I'm envying you those pumpkins. I have never been able to grow them, between my own laziness and the dreaded squash vine borer.
Annie in Austin said,

Sunday, July 1. 2007 at 12:02 (Link) (Reply)

You have my sympathy, Colleen! Our nemesis in the corn patch was the Raccoon rather than the Squirrel. We gave up on getting corn to eat, but one year I talked Philo into growing some just for the stalks, so they could be used as Halloween decorations.... dang raccoons trashed the patch, tearing the stems and leaves to shreds.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose
firefly said,

Monday, July 2. 2007 at 16:51 (Reply)

Blood meal repels squirrels. They hate it (also Espoma fertilizer). If you sprinkle it on the ground thick enough so that it looks like a layer of ground coffee, they'll leap right over it rather than walk through it. You might try a border of blood meal around the veggies you want to protect. Best thing is it's (a) cheap and (b) accumulates; if you reapply after the first few rains or waterings, the ground will still smell like it and they will avoid it for a long while.

Netting is more work, but I've found it an effective deterrent, on a small scale. I don't know if it would work with a food crop, since I don't grow veggies, but I always put netting around containers on the deck when plants are small because the squirrels dig in the pots looking for goodies. Bird netting (plastic) is relatively easy to work with. I cut small piece(s) of pipe cleaner to attach the netting to a stake (bamboo works for me), to hold it above what is growing. Drape the netting over the plants. I might stake alongside the plants and attach netting there too, like a tent, so the squirrels can't reach in. Then weight it with something -- rocks, flowerpots, bags of gravel, or staple it into the ground somehow.

I would leave it a bit flexible so they'll get the impression they're going to get trapped in it, rather than pull it so tight they will try to chew through. I might also tie something reflective and flappy to the outside to keep songbirds from flying into it and getting tangled.

Squirrels can be really destructive. I've had them get into an outdoor greenhouse shelf and dig in peat pots, and dig up things (trillium roots and calla bulbs) they weren't even interested in just for the hell of it.

Enclosing asterisks marks text as bold (*word*), underscore are made via _word_.
Standard emoticons like :-) and ;-) are converted to images.
E-Mail addresses will not be displayed and will only be used for E-Mail notifications

To prevent automated Bots from commentspamming, please enter the string you see in the image below in the appropriate input box. Your comment will only be submitted if the strings match. Please ensure that your browser supports and accepts cookies, or your comment cannot be verified correctly.
CAPTCHA

Submitted comments will be subject to moderation before being displayed.

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/include/plugin_api.inc.php on line 562

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spartacus/serendipity_event_spartacus.php on line 316

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spartacus/serendipity_event_spartacus.php on line 360

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 451

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 476

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 520

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 819