Skip to: categories | main content

Fall is for....moving plants!

Trackbacks

No Trackbacks

Comments
Display comments as (Linear | Threaded)

Fran Sorin said,

Friday, October 12. 2007 at 09:29 (Link) (Reply)

Colleen-

How vividly you described your what turned out to be your 'day in the garden' transplanting! I think that this is part of the beauty of gardening: that you think you're going to do just a few minor chores and then once out there, one thing leads to another and to another. I have heard myself over the years making silent promises to myself that 'this will be the last thing I'll do before going in'. Thanks for sharing your day with us. It brought a smile to my face. Fran
Colleen said,

Friday, October 12. 2007 at 09:40 (Link) (Reply)

Thanks, Fran :-)

I agree with you--one of the great joys of gardening is its ability to make us lose track of time by presenting us with new opportunities to play in the dirt. And to think that many people think it looks like "work" when we're out there digging and planting!

I can't even count how many times I've made and broken the "just one more thing" promise :-)

Thanks for stopping by!
Carol said,

Friday, October 12. 2007 at 17:42 (Link) (Reply)

How I envy you having that lovely day in your garden. I hope tomorrow that I have such a day. I think I'll plan just one project in the garden for the day and just see what that leads to!

Carol at May Dreams Gardens
jodi said,

Friday, October 12. 2007 at 19:57 (Link) (Reply)

MMMM...that sounds like an idyllic and ideal day to me, Colleen. I'm planning to do some work outside tomorrow, but I also have deadlines to clear before I leave Monday for an overnight away--giving a talk on extending the garden season--so the computer may win out over the garden yet again.
OldRoses said,

Friday, October 12. 2007 at 19:57 (Link) (Reply)

Woo hoo! It finally rained and now I can be a copycat and start planting and moving stuff around in my yard too. We have had such a drought here, that I couldn't get a shovel into the ground. I so look forward to the fall planting season.
gina said,

Saturday, October 13. 2007 at 20:43 (Link) (Reply)

colleen, I havnt had one of those days in a long time but man arent they productive?? ps - your seeds are in the mail!
Phillip said,

Saturday, October 13. 2007 at 22:19 (Link) (Reply)

I can relate! The past two days have been beautiful here and I've spend them planting and transplanting. And, like you said, one transplant always leads to another. I had intended to move some hostas and after I did that, I found myself moving an azalea, another hosta, a camellia...
Kim said,

Saturday, October 13. 2007 at 23:06 (Link) (Reply)

What a fun day you must have had, Colleen! I grinned with recognition at your comments about your garden-project-ADD. That sounds too familiar--starting out planning to plant a few specific things, and then ending up having turned the compost pile, and on and on. :-)
Robin said,

Saturday, October 13. 2007 at 23:50 (Link) (Reply)

I wish I had saved the seeds from my Anise hyssop. I have two plants and didn't even think about sowing more. They bloomed again after cutting them back hopefully they will go to seed before the first frost.

I love beautiful days when I can spend all day in the yard "working". It is great therapy for whatever ails me. So easy to loose track of time doing just one more thing.
Stuart said,

Sunday, October 14. 2007 at 19:24 (Link) (Reply)

There you go - you're not afraid to transplant at all! Way to go, Colleen.

Transplanting days in the garden are so much fun, aren't they? It's like you've just come back from the nursery with a heap new plants ready to invest into your garden beds.

I hope you're going to show some updated commentaries of how they all survived. BTW - I've lost two plants so far, but the rest are doing amazingly well. Oh, the trials of being an amateur!
Colleen said,

Sunday, October 14. 2007 at 20:35 (Link) (Reply)

Jodi ---I know what that's like! I hope you manage to steal some time in the garden!

OldRoses --Me too! It's probably my favorite time of the gardening year. Like you, I haven't done too much yet because it's been so hot and dry, but it looks like that's finally over!

Gina --Yes they are :-) Thanks! I'm sending yours out on Monday.

Phillip --That's exactly how it goes :-) It's a lot of fun though, isn't it?

Kim --Somehow, I knew you would get it :-)

Robin --That may be the best part---being totally unaware of how long you've been out there! BTW, if you don't manage to get any seeds from your anise hyssop, email me, seriously. I'll send you some!

Stuart --You have a very good memory. I'd forgotten that I "confessed" that little weakness over on your blog :-) It's less scary once you just get in there and do it. I'll definitely post updates on how everything is doing. And you're right---digging and transplanting feels just like coming home from the nursery with new plants....but better, because it's free! (I am so cheap...lol)

Enclosing asterisks marks text as bold (*word*), underscore are made via _word_.
Standard emoticons like :-) and ;-) are converted to images.
E-Mail addresses will not be displayed and will only be used for E-Mail notifications

To prevent automated Bots from commentspamming, please enter the string you see in the image below in the appropriate input box. Your comment will only be submitted if the strings match. Please ensure that your browser supports and accepts cookies, or your comment cannot be verified correctly.
CAPTCHA

Submitted comments will be subject to moderation before being displayed.

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/include/plugin_api.inc.php on line 562

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spartacus/serendipity_event_spartacus.php on line 316

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spartacus/serendipity_event_spartacus.php on line 360

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 451

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 476

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 520

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/content/r/v/a/rvanderlinden/html/serendipity/plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/serendipity_event_spamblock.php on line 819